The ninth edition of the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) was recently held on Saturday at the Eko Hotel Convention Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos.
The event was a celebration of the African film and television industry, and it brought together some of the biggest names in Nollywood, other African film industries, and influencers.
One of the most anticipated aspects of the AMVCA is the red carpet arrivals, where celebrities and industry players show off their fashion sense.
This year’s event was no exception, with many stunning outfits on display. Enioluwa Adeoluwa and Beauty Tukura were among the winners of the Best Dressed awards. Eni and Tukura received high praise for their impeccable fashion sense.
In terms of the main awards, here are the big wins of the night:
- Best Actor in a Comedy – (Movie/TV Series) Samuel Perry (Broda Shaggi)
- Best Actress in a Comedy – (Movie/TV Series) Bimbo Ademoye – Selina
- Best Actor in a Drama – (Movie/TV Series) Tobi Bakre – Brotherhood
- Best Actress in a Drama – (Movie/TV Series) Osas Ighodaro – Man of God
- Best Supporting Actor (Movie/TV Series) Abdisattar Ahmed – Gacal
- Best Supporting Actress (Movie/TV Series) Efe Irele – Four Four Forty Four
- Best Short Film: Adeoye Adetunji – Pa Aromire
- Best Online Social Content Creator: Elozonam, Kie Kie – Back From The Future
- Best Original Telenovela: Mpali
- Best Unscripted Original: King Bugar
- Best Original Comedy Serie: Njoro Wa Uba
- Best Original Drama Series: Ricordi
- Best Art Director: Wale Adeleke – King Of Thieves (Agesinkole)
- Best Costume Designer (Movie/TV Series) Adeola Art-Alade – The Real Housewives of Lagos (Reunion Episode)
- Best Lighting Designer (Movie/TV Series) Mathew Yusuf – Brotherhood
- Best Picture Editor (Movie/TV Series) Holmes Awa & Daniel Tom – Crime & Justice
- Best Sound Editor (Movie/TV Series) Anu Afolayan – Anikulapo
- Best Soundtrack (Movie/TV Series) Kent Edunjobi – Anikulapo
- Best Makeup (Movie/TV Series) Maryam Ndukwe, Hakeem Effects Onilogbo – Shanty Town
- Best Writer (Movie/TV Series) Sola Dada – Anikulapo
- Best Cinematographer (Movie/TV Series) Loukman Ali – Brotherhood
- Best Movie, Southern Africa: Jewel – Elvis Chucks
- Best Movie, East Africa: Click Click Bang – Philip Karanja Njenga
- Best Movie, West Africa: Brotherhood – Jade Osiberu
- Best Television Series: Crime & Justice – Yinka Edward
- Best Documentary: Nigeria-the Debut – Nora Awolowo
- Best Director: Loukman Ali – Brotherhood
- Best Indigenous Language, Swahili (Movie/TV Series) Philip Karanja Njenga – Click Click Bang
- Best Indigenous Language, Yoruba (Movie/TV Series) Anikulapo – Kunle Afolayan
- Best Indigenous Language, Hausa (Movie/TV Series) Aisha – Abubakar Bashir Maishadda
- Best Indigenous Language, Igbo (Movie/TV Series) Uhuruchi – Victor Iyke
- Best Overall Movie, Africa: Anikulapo – Kunle Afolayan
- Industry Merit Award: Patience Ozokwor
- The Trailblazer Award: Angel Onigwe
Overall, the ninth edition of the AMVCA was a huge success, with a great turnout of industry players, stunning fashion, and deserving winners. It was a great celebration of the African film and television industry, and a tribute to the hard work of all those involved in creating some of the best content on the continent.
By Elijah Christopher