Contact Information

New York

We Are Available 24/ 7. Call Now.

Guinea’s President Alpha Condé has won a third term in office, preliminary results show, amid violent protests across the country.

The electoral commission said the 82-year-old had taken 59.5% of the vote. The victory still requires confirmation by the Constitutional Court, BBC reports.

His opponent, Cellou Dalein Diallo, said he would contest the result, alleging large-scale fraud.

At least 30 people have died since the vote on Sunday, Guinean media report.

Mr Diallo, 68, won 33.5% of the ballots, the electoral commission said.

“We are still going to refer the matter to the constitutional court, without having too many expectations,” Mr Diallo told Agence France-Presse.

•          Africa Live: Updates on this and other stories

•          Prison to president: The 82-year-old eyeing six more years

•          A quick guide to Guinea            

The president says a constitutional referendum in March allowed him to run despite a two-term limit, but opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

Dozens have been killed in the months after Mr Condé said he would re-run. There are fears of further ethnic clashes if the results are disputed.

Gunfire erupted in the capital, Conakry, on Friday. According to sources contacted by the BBC, the army has been called in to support the police in maintaining order.

Three police officers died in clashes on Friday, according to Guinean media.

Communications by telephone are barely going through and the internet has been shut down.

Witnesses told Reuters news agency there had been gunfire in the Sonfonia neighbourhood of Conakry and a local resident said police had used warning shots to break up protests.

Residents in opposition strongholds say that many people are holed up in their homes and that the police are using live ammunition instead of tear gas against protesters.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *