Kenya’s government has announced that it would send Ksh1.3 million ($13,000) to students stranded in the Chinese city of Wuhan, that is the epicentre of the Covid-19 virus epidemic.
The government spokesperson Cyrus Oguna said there are 100 Kenyans currently living in the Chinese city, with 91 of these being students while nine are artists.
“We are aware there are two expectant Kenyans…they’ve been receiving medical services. They have the necessary support and are in good health,” Oguna said in a briefing on Thursday.
Ksh500,000 ($5,000) worth of provisions from the Chinese government is also being processed.
Kenyans in China have been appealing for help, asking the government to evacuate them as they are ‘locked down’ and ‘unable to procure groceries’.
Meanwhile, a Chinese student who had been isolated in Kitui County, as a suspected case of the Coronavirus has tested negative.
The man who works as an accountant with the China state-owned Sino Hydro Construction Company will remain isolated for two weeks.
“The Chinese man has been examined by our medical staff and he tested negative to the basic symptoms of coronavirus,” Kitui County Chief Officer for Health Dr Richard Muthoka told journalists adding that the man will also be wearing a face mask at all times.