The federal government has announced five new cases of coronavirus disease in the country, in addition to the existing three cases.
With the development, Nigeria now has eight confirmed cases of the disease.
The Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, in an ongoing press conference in Abuja, on the update of the disease in the country, said all the new five cases had a travel history to and from the United Kingdom, UK and the United States of America, USA.
“We urge Nigerians to remain calm as public health response activities are intensified across the country,” he said.
@Fmohnigeria has announced 5 new cases of #COVID19 in Nigeria bringing the total number confirmed cases in Nigeria to 8
All 5 cases had a travel history to the UK/USA
We urge Nigerians to remain calm as public health response activities are intensified across the country
Meanwhile, intensive contact tracing for the passengers that travelled with the third confirmed case of Coronavirus on British Airways and those with the five new ones continues.
The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, who disclosed this at a media briefing in Lagos, said the third COVID-19 case came on a BA75 flight that arrived in Lagos on March 13. He said the third case lives with her parents and one sibling, adding the entire family had been transferred to the infectious diseases Hospital at Yaba as a preventive measure and monitoring. Abayomi said: “We have started the contact tracing process and thankfully she obeyed the instruction and she confined herself to her home where she has been in contact with her immediate family. “That helps us tremendously in contact tracing. “We will be reaching out to the passengers of the flight as we did with the index case. “But, while we are making this public announcement, anybody who was on that flight as a passenger should reach out to the emergency numbers or the new toll-free number – 0800-CORONA.”